Connecting with your spouse is especially important when the kids are little, but it can be challenging. These at home date night ideas will make sure you can enjoy couple time even when you can’t go out.
One day while going about my normal routine I realized something that made my heart sink a bit.
I couldn’t actually remember the last time hubby and I had a date night.
Even though connecting with him is important to me…
Even though I know having a quality marriage makes our entire family stronger…
Even though I actually enjoy spending time with him…
Date nights had fallen through the cracks.
Right then I decided something had to change. I decided to make date nights a priority.
Making Date Night a Priority
Step one… setting monthly date nights.
What’s the best way to make sure something happens around here? It has to go on the calendar.
Step two… get him involved.
To make this a little more fun we decided to rotate who plans the dates. The rules are that we have to keep in mind what the month looks like.
That means sometimes there isn’t much extra money, sometimes there isn’t much extra time and sometimes we don’t have a babysitter. (All of those are important factors in date night… which means sometimes we have to get creative.)
Step three… make it easy!
We rounded up this list of 50 at home date night ideas. That way all we have to do is scan the list and find something fun to do.
50 at Home Date Night Ideas Perfect for Parents
- Have an indoor picnic.
- Beer tasting.
- Ice cream night. Buy small containers so you can both have your favorite flavor. Talk about ice cream memories from when you were young.
Make Sushi together.
- YouTube karaoke. Yes that is actually a thing!!! Search karaoke on YouTube and you will find tons of karaoke versions of songs.
- Paint together on a big canvas.
- Take a “how well do you know each other” trivia quiz.
- Wine tasting.
- Stargaze together and see how many constellations you can find.
- Roast marshmallows over a fire pit (or barbecue).
- Play video games together.
- Put an air mattress or comfy blankets on the living room floor and fall asleep watching a movie.
Exchange foot rubs.
Make it a candlelight night.
Once you find the perfect activity for your at home date night all you need is something to say…Click here for 20 Date Night Conversation Starters
- Prepare dinner from another culture together. Play music and watch a movie that celebrates that area.
- Have cheese, sausage & crackers.
- Have an outside picnic under the stars.
- Exchange back rubs.
- Work together to make a playlist of songs from when you were first together.
- Dress up for each other. Wear fancy clothes and set a fancy table.
- Chopped Challenge at home. Have a friend fill a bag with ingredients neither of you knows about. Set a timer and race the clock together.
Do a puzzle together.
- Make a homemade pizza.
- Spend some time writing out 10-15 memories each. Then read them out loud to each other.
Blind taste test. Each of you collect some yummy treats like peanut butter, cool whip, pixie sticks, honey, cream cheese, strawberries, etc. Don’t let the other see. Take turns bringing out an ingredient.
- Organize digital family pictures together.
- Make your own massage oil.
- Unplug from everything and just be together.
- Read aloud to each other.
- Play a childhood game.
- Learn a new hobby together.
- Play darts.
- Plan your next trip.
- Dream together. Talk about where you’d like to be in the next 5, 10, 15 years in your relationship, with the kids, with finances, in your careers, etc.
- Take YouTube dance lessons. Salsa anyone?
- Do a “Skype” double date with a friend couple who has moved cross country.
- Make a list of the top ten reasons you’re happy to have him as your hubby while he makes a list of why he’s happy to have you!
- Play cards. We like Golf. Someone recommended Casino, we can’t wait to try it!
- Have a really special fancy dessert from a nearby bakery.
- Walk around the neighborhood, keeping your house in view.
- Watch the first movie you ever watched together.
- Search online for your dream home.
- Exchange a scalp massage.
- Build a fort together.
- Take a bath together.
- Make fancy popcorn.
- Share (or remember together) embarrassing moments from the past.
- Look at your wedding album.
- Start a journal together. Write love notes in it and keep in near your bed.
Tips for Keeping the Kids Busy During Your Date Night
Of course, all of these at home date night ideas will work better if you have a little space between you and the kids. Here are some things that work for us. Add your ideas in the comments.
- Get them a movie to watch in another room.
- If you do rest time, like we do, send them on their way.
- Create a “sleepover” feel, letting the kids share a room for the night.
- Include the kids. Let them be waiters/waitresses, serve the meal and clean up after.
**Note: Connecting with each other or having private time is important. It’s okay to tell the kids this is your time. It’s better than okay! It’s teaching them how important it is to put effort into marriage.
Tell us your favorite at home date night idea in the comment section!
**Another Note – I’ve been asked a few times about the game in the picture. It is Catan, which is normally a 3-4 player game. It’s one of our all-time favorite date night games. We recently found Rivals for Catan, which is intended for two players… we love both. (We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.)
Click on the picture below to save this post to Pinterest (you are definitely going to want to find it again!)