When was the last time you had a date night?
Truth be told we love being at home so the post with 50 Fun Date Night Ideas for at Home worked perfectly for us. Our favorite way to spend a date night is playing games.
Games are easy, they don’t take much prep once you’ve learned the rules and they can be really fun…
if you pick the right ones.
13 games for two people that work great for date night games
These date night games are great to play with 2 players and each has its own unique fun factor!
Best 2 Player Card Games
- Golf – One of the things I love about the card game Golf is that you can make it as long or short as you want. Each hand takes about 10 minutes. Sometimes we play only a couple of hands and sometimes we just keep playing and playing.
- Nerts – Nerts can also be called pounce. It’s a fun and fast speed game that can be played with two or more people. It’s similar to solitaire, that makes it easy to learn.
- Cribbage – Full disclosure, I don’t like this one. But everyone else in my family does. It’s worth checking out if you’re looking for a fun 2 player card game that’s been around for a long time.
- 3Up 3Down – Quick and easy to learn. It’s a shorter game that’s great for two players or the whole family.
Best 2 Player Board Games
- Onitama Board Game – We are new fans of this two-player game. Onitama is very simple with only a few rules and directions. That makes learning how to play very easy. It’s similar to chess with a very fun twist. The moves you can make change with every turn. I was especially impressed with the quality of the pieces and the unique style of the board. It takes about 30 minutes to play.
- Othello – The box says “A minute to learn… a lifetime to master.” It’s true, Othello is very easy to learn. The fun comes in trying out different strategies. This one takes about 15 – 20 minutes to play.
- Ticket To Ride – Ticket to Ride comes in several different versions. We’ve played the original (USA) and Europe. The rules for both are almost identical. Ticket to Ride takes about 45 minutes to play. I like that your strategy changes depending on the moves your opponent makes. There are usually a few nail-biting moments.
- Patchwork – Patchwork is a pretty game board and can only be played by two players. It’s a strategy game.
- The Settlers of Catan (two-player version) – Catan is not a two player game. We searched two-player Catan rules and found them. Ehh. We really enjoy playing Catan the way it’s intended even with 2 players. Catan takes about an hour to play, sometimes longer.
Best 2 Player Dice Games
- 10,000 – 10,000 is probably the game we’ve played most in our marriage. It travels really well, so we’ve played on airplanes, in delivery rooms, camping… it’s also really fun. We first learned when we were dating and after 12 years of marriage, it’s still one of our go to games.
- Quixx – This dice game is a bit shorter, it takes about 15 minutes to play. We play it quite a bit over video chat.
- Bananagrams – Bananagrams is perfect for those who love word games. It plays a lot like Scrabble except that you each have your own words to play off… and it’s all about how fast you can go not about how many points you can get. Each round takes about ten minutes and you can play as many rounds as you want!
- Railroad Ink Challenge – This is my new favorite game. It can be played with 2 players or more. It can also be played alone. It’s strategic and so much fun!