We can all agree that learning how to spell is important.
Unfortunately, spelling practice can be really boring.
Just like any learning experience, spelling can be fun. We prove that all the time around here.
Little M is always excited to see what type of spelling fun I have up my sleeve, and I am always on the lookout for new spelling activities for kids.
Spelling Activities for Kids that Make Spelling Fun!
Here are a few guidelines I use when planning how to make spelling fun, along with a list of great activities to get your kids enjoying spelling word practice!
Add movement to the spelling word practice.
That’s pretty much my motto for everything. Since my kids are in constant bounce mode (are we the only ones?) I know that adding movement will always get their attention quickly. And adding movement to learning ensures that they will stay engaged longer. YAY!
- Spelling Hopscotch – Simply 2nd Resources
- ABC Slam – Toddler Approved
- Sight Word Treasure Hunt – Hands On: As We Grow
- Sight Word Soccer – Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Scoop and Spell – Imagination Tree
Make it a spelling game.
We are very serious game people. Which means there is almost always a game in play at our house. I love to throw in a spelling game once in a while.
Extra Tip: Some of these spelling games are really great for transition moments. If you have your little ones spelling list (or just think up a quick list) these games will be perfect when you’re waiting at a restaurant or killing time before school.
- Spelling Word Tic Tac Toe – Confidence Meets Parenting
- Missing Letters Spelling Game – Imagination Soup
- Spelling Hangman – Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
- Party Blower Spelling Game – Kids Activities Blog
- Spelling Battleship – Deceptively Educational
Pair your spelling word fun with a holiday.
Kids love to celebrate holidays with activities and art projects. Why not extend the fun with some playful learning as well? You’re already celebrating anyway!
- Valentine Word Activity – Buggy and Buddy
- Easter Spelling Words with Plastic Eggs – A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Spiderweb Spelling – Confidence Meets Parenting
- Spelling Turkeys – Confidence Meets Parenting
- Sight Word Christmas Tree – J Daniel 4s Mom
Use items you already have for spelling practice.
There is no need to go crazy creating fancy spelling activities for kids. These activities are fun ways to learn spelling words, fairly simple to prep, and use items you have around the house.
- Sensory Spelling Cards – Confidence Meets Parenting
- Spaghetti Spelling Fun – Confidence Meets Parenting
- Tinker Toy Spelling Practice – Confidence Meets Parenting
- Simple Spelling Puzzles – No Time For Flash Cards
- Seek and Find Spelling – What Do We Do All Day
Get Creative with spelling word activities and games.
Have fun when deciding what type of spelling activities your kids will love. Try to incorporate some of their favorite toys or objects.
- Scrabble Spelling Practice – Confidence Meets Parenting
- Dot Sticker Spelling Scramble – School Time Snippets
- Spelling Garage – 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Window Writing Spelling Words – Teach Mama
- Roll and Spell – Well Nurtured Plants and Pillars
Click the picture below to see our very favorite way to make spelling fun. Tic Tac Toe spelling
Spelling Games Online
You might want to add a little online spelling word practice to your hands-on spelling fun.
Card and Board Games of spelling
This list includes Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Confidence Meets Parenting.
- Zingo Word Builder
- Boggle Junior
- Snap It Up!
- My First Bananagrams
- Scrabble Junior Game
How do you practice spelling words in a fun way?
This post is full of fun spelling word games and activities. The best way to make spelling practice fun for your kids is to have fun with it yourself. Your energy and excitement will add to the experience.
Do you have a favorite spelling word game or activity that you would add?