We are in the process of moving. In fact as you are reading this we are probably shoving boxes into the truck. The last thing I felt like doing this week was coming up with an activity, picturing it and writing it out. But lucky me… I always feel like sharing with you. The reason that’s so lucky is that this activity ended up being a wonderful way for us to connect as a family during this chaotic time. So thank you for motivating me to do something that otherwise might have died as a glimmer of an idea.
M and M love counting down to upcoming events. Our family also loves conversation starters. I decided to mix the two. Since moving is overwhelming as it is, I wanted this to be short and sweet. Six conversation starters made into a chain. I used white construction paper and a pen. No need to get fancy with this one.
Both of the kids were excited to see the conversation chain appear on the table. I guess it’s been too long since we’ve had a good set of conversation starters.
I had a special question for each day, so on the outside of each ring I wrote the day it should be read.
Countdown to Moving Day Conversation Starters for Kids
- 6 days left – Share a favorite memory of life in this house.
- 5 days left – Share something you will NOT miss about your house and one thing you will miss.
- 4 days left – Make a list of 3 things you must have on the first night in the new house. (I took notes. 😉 )
- 3 days left – What are you excited about for the new house?
- 2 days left – How do you feel? How do you feel about the boxes around the house? How do you feel about the busy days ahead?
- Moving day is tomorrow – Talk about plans for the next few days. Discuss where everyone will be and what jobs everyone will have.
I better get back to packing! If you have some ideas for moving day conversations, leave them in the comments!