This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Disney Consumer Products for IZEA. All opinions are 100% mine.
There are a few things I love about creative dough. It’s great for independent play and it’s also great for connecting.
Today I’ve teamed up with the Sofia the First toy makers to talk about just that… connection, imagination and taking playtime to the next level. Sofia the First is a TV series on Disney Junior about a girl whose life turns from ordinary to extraordinary when she suddenly becomes royalty.
Sofia is brave and adventurous. She is kind, generous and is constantly overcoming challenges in order to keep her own values in tact as she works to fit into this new life. Sofia is exactly the type of role model I want for my daughter.
The Sofia the First Royal Friends Figure Set added a fantastic new element of fun to our play table this week!
Fun and Creative Play Prompt
What you need: dough (store bought or homemade dough), colorful buttons, jewels, sparkly pipe cleaners, craft sticks, other odds and ends.
Tips for successful creative play:
- There are a ton of great ways to play with dough. Create a theme by matching colors and including little figures. We used the Sofia the First Royal Friends Figure Set. The figures are bright, sturdy and the perfect size for little hands. They made wonderful play accessories.
- Most of the time simple is better. Lay out only a few accessories. This will help keep the table uncluttered and be less overwhelming for the kids.
- Spend some time admiring and commenting on the ideas your little one has come up with. Ask questions when she seems to be stuck to get her moving again. Dough is very forgiving, it’s a great time to practice working on trying new things.
- Kneading dough is very relaxing. Sculpting is a great way to get creative. Instead of jumping up to do the dishes while she plays, use this opportunity for some me time right next to the kids.
Questions to get your kids started:
- “Oh I see you are using your hands to flatten the dough. Can you think of another way to flatten it? Which way did you like better?”
- “What happens if you press a jewel into the dough and then pull it out?”
- “Can you use those markings to make a design?”
- “I’m building a castle, but I’m having trouble getting this part to stay. Do you have any ideas for me?” Anytime you can empower kids to help you… it’s a win for everyone!
As you can see, Sofia and her friends were very active during our little playtime. The figures are made to easily stand on their own which made it easy for them to move from adventure to adventure. I especially loved watching a scene reenacted from a recent episode of Sofia the First.
The new line of Sofia the First toys has just launched! These special Sofia the First toys are available now at all major retailers including, Walmart, Target and ToysRUs.
These new Sofia the First toys include dolls, a palace dollhouse, a magic musical Sofia gown, and an interactive amulet necklace. Sofia takes playtime from ordinary to extraordinary! The high quality toys have amazing new features that are interactive, light up, play music, and more.
Do you have a story to share about your little ones favorite Sofia the First toy? We would love to hear about it in the comments.
Leave a Reply