I happen to love this mystery bag game. It’s one of my personal favorites.
It reminds me a lot of the disappearing shapes activity.
They are both so easy to set up that they make great time filler activities. Plus, by changing the items you use, the activity becomes a whole new game!
Mystery Bag Game | Quick & Easy Preschool Activity
what you need: two bags, items (I used 10)
The hardest part of this is collecting the items in secret. I think kids have some type of Mommy sensor that brings them curiously to your leg the second you think you have a moment alone.
I decided to collect these items the night before, but it can be done quickly if you decide to do this at a moments notice.
When I collected the items for our mystery bag, I tried to vary the texture and size. I also wanted a few items that were really obvious and some that would be a little more of a challenge.
Start with all of the items in one bag and bring another bag with you. Make sure the bags are NOT see through.
We used the bag from our Marble Game, a brown paper bag would work just as well.
Take one item (in a very sneaky way, without letting anyone see) and put it in the second bag. I had them close their eyes, but didn’t trust one bit that they actually did close their eyes!
At this point, I started talking about how they would be able to figure out what was in the bag.
- Would they use their sense of hearing? (I added a visual by putting my ear to the bag.)
- Could they figure out what was in the bag by using their sense of smell?
Little M felt the item and we talked about what she felt.
- Is the item smooth or rough?
- Does the object feel hard or squishy?
- Would you call it big or small?
As she guessed, I questioned her answers. I asked for more details and guided her away from answers that were not exactly correct.
“Oh, it feels like a fork? A fork has four points on the end, does that item have four points? No?Do you have another guess.”
Once she knew what she was feeling I had her pull it out.
Myster Bag Game Tips (to maximize learning):
- The mystery bag is the perfect addition to your letter of the week. Simply fill the bag with items that start with your letter of the week.
- If your little one is having a hard time figuring out what the item is, add in some clues. Where would you find this item? What would it be used with?
- Have your little one take a turn filling the bag for you!
What items did you put in your mystery bag? Leave us a comment!
This mystery bag game activity was originally shared on January 18, 2011.