We’ve reached week 6 of the Creative Kid Table series… PLAY DOUGH!
Creative Kid Table Week 6: Simple Play Dough Play
Now that the kids are a little older (8 and 9), we don’t have play dough out as often as we used to. I almost think that makes it more exciting when I do bring it out.
Tips for successful creative play:
- Use store bought play dough or try making your own.
- There are a ton of great ways to play with play dough (just try searching play dough activities on Pinterest) but sometimes simple is better. Offer only one type of accessory. We used toothpicks.
- Or go for a theme like birthday by adding candles, plates and bowls.
Questions to get your kids started:
- “Can you build a bridge using only the play dough and toothpicks?”
- “What happens if you press the toothpicks into the play dough and then pull it out?”
- “Can you use those markings to make a design?”
There are two things I love about play dough. It’s great for independent play (when I need some downtime of my own) and it’s also great for connecting. Depending on how you feel and what you need today… take advantage of the play dough!