As a family, we have always been big on down time. When the kids were younger we carefully selected outings and enrichment activities so that the bulk of our time was spent at home… together. It was wonderful and because of it family bonding time just happened naturally.
Everything is changing though. With growing careers, hubby and I are finding ourselves working more. The kids are also getting older. They want to play sports, join plays and play with neighborhood friends. All of these things seem like the natural next step, but it leaves us rushing around.
It suddenly became clear that we were in very serious need of a family connection boot camp. Hubby and I need to be intentional about spending quality time as a family or it just flat out isn’t going to happen.
These 7 family activities are some of our favorite ways to make sure we are connecting. Is finding time to connect a challenge in your family? I would love to hear more about it in the comments. What struggles do you have? What’s working for your family?
7 Family Activities Perfect for Simple Family Fun
- Play a Game. We love games. It’s one of our go-to ways to connect as a family. Pick an old favorite or learn a new one. Connecting tip: Some games only require a few minutes. Here is a list of games divided by the amount of time you have to play. Find a few that you like, that are short, and you always have an easy way to connect, even with only a few minutes.
- Family Art Project. Set out a collection of materials. Crayons or colored pencils and paper. Collage materials or paints. Instead of just setting enough space for the kids, make it a family event. We love creating together and I bet you will too.
- Run Errands. Errands are the perfect time to be together. Go out all together or make it a “date” and just take one kid. Connecting tip: Talk, be silly and spend a little more time than you need on each errand. It’s more fun that way.
- Look at Baby Books. Kids (and adults) love to remember. Get out the baby books and reminisce about the baby stage. Tell stories about what it was like to have a brand new baby.
- Teach a Skill. What are you really good at (or kind of good at, but love doing?) Baking? Sewing? Photography? Hold a family workshop and take turns teaching everyone else something new.
- Take an Evening Walk.
- Just Play. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is sit down when the kids are already engaged. Find out what they are up to and join in.
If you like these family bonding time activities you are going to love the Family Connection Challenge. It’s a totally free resource I’ve created to make family bonding as easy as possible! The Family Connection Challenge has 30 family activities.
Some of the activities are super easy and can be done without any planning. Some of the activities take a little more thought. When you receive your free, printable Family Connection Challenge (sent to your email) you’ll find a blank calendar, a calendar filled with family activity ideas, and a list of family activities with descriptions. I’ve also included connecting tips for most of the activities and 3 ways to use the challenge. I really want this to work for your specific situation!